Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Big 2-1

As most of you reading this know, birthdays are a big deal to me. Also, 21 is the most epic number in my life. So when I realized that I would be spending my 21st birthday in New Zealand half a world away from all of the people and everything that I know and love, I wasn't too sure how to feel about it. I just honestly didn't think it could be that great without my close friends around.

Well, I was wrong. This has been the best birthday that I've ever had. I am in the most beautiful place that I have ever been, I am experiencing everything and living my life to the absolute fullest in this place, and I am with people who truly understand this experience and are with me in it. I cannot think of a better place to be on my 21st birthday.

That's not to say that I don't miss my friends and family and all of the important people in my life from home. Which is why I can't help but be impressed by their love and thoughtfulness. I have the best friends in the entire world who knew just how to make this day perfect and special even from halfway across the world. And I just want to say thank you for being so amazing. You guys don't even know how much your package meant to me.

I am here having the time of my life being a part of so many new things and I have met so many great great people who understand it and make it better just by being here and I am SO SO thankful for it all. And the best part is when this experience is over and done with, I have the most amazing friends and family to go home to. And it really doesn't get any better than that.

I am literally overwhelmed by the people in my life who are there for me and show that they care no matter the distance. I am overwhelmed by the new people in my life who I have not known for long, but still managed to make it their top priority to make my birthday celebration spectacular. I am overwhelmed by where God has placed me in life -- in Christchurch, New Zealand with epic mountains and beaches and beauty all around me. I am overwhelmed by just how blessed I am. It's a good overwhelmed, that's for sure. But I don't have the words to express how GREAT my birthday was or how much I appreciate everybody's contribution to it's greatness. All I can really say is thank you. So thank you. Please know that these aren't just words. I mean every bit of this.

Best birthday of my life so far. I can only hope the next 21 years will be as extraordinary as these past 21 years have been.

1 comment: